Saturday, August 18, 2007

New Painting



Well, as usual I got pressed for time and did not get photos "in progress done" although there is still some work to be done on this piece which I call "Bateman Hardware" for obvious reasons. I have straightened some lines since the photo was taken and I also plan to glaze the painting to give it a patina of age. I am pretty well pleased with it. The original wall was very wide and narrow so I had to change the composition. Also, the real colors were not only washed out but not pleasing so I referred to the earlier piece shown in a previous post and used those colors which I invented as well. When and if I get anyone looking at my blog, I will be glad to post the original image that I worked from if there is an interest. This painting is all done with a palette knife. The texture is very heavy and will be enhanced by the glazing.

Fortunately, I am prepared with enough paintings for my Sept. 8 show in Austin as I got calls this week wanting commission pieces and, of course, they want them right away. Two 48"x48" pieces for Atlanta needed by Sept. 20 and one for a hospital in Austin needed by Oct. 1. I have a little window of time right now to do them before I have to start painting for my November show in Houston. Since these pieces are both to be similar to paintings that are sold they should go fairly fast.

I want to try some new ideas for the November show and am anxious to get started on it. While painting the new piece, "Bateman Hardware" I decided that I am getting pretty good at doing lettering with my palette knife and got the idea to try some large pieces with words and symbols in them that are not based on actual store signs. I have also had the thought that I want to do some pieces that are primarily black and white. I'm working on some sketches. I seem to always have ideas percolating -- as Paul Simon says -- "in the back of my head, in the back of my head". We shall see what develops

Meanwhile we will have some fun tonight with our dinner club. Some of the members just got back from a trip to Africa so it will be interesting to hear their stories.

Max

www.maxineprice.com

1 comment:

Frank Curtis said...

How thrilling to have shows and also commission pieces. It seems to me that you are staying very busy. Glad to see that you have a "personal life" with your supper club.