Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Painting in Series

I work in oils and palette knife on canvas.



Right now I am painting for a show in Austin Sept. 8. I'm working on a piece for a series called "What Remains" that is inspired by old walls, alleys and signage on old buildings , etc. Shown is an earlier piece called "Delicious and Refreshing".

One thing that intrigues me with these images is the way the lettering has been over-painted and then weathered over the years so that the under-layers are revealed. Sometimes I can't make out what the bottom layers spell but I paint it as is which adds to the mystery of the piece. Tomorrow I will show a new painting in development.

1 comment:

TJ Miles said...

Hi Maxine

I adore the painting shown in your blog! What a clever idea to create old weathered signs into painting subjects. You have a great eye for detail, and an imagination that draws the viewer into the picture.
I would love to see more of them.
Keep up the good work, and the best of luck for all your upcoming shows.
I will tap into your blog regularly for hints and tips.

Best wishes
TJ Miles